FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com

This is an account of life in an Olympic city. Capturing the final preparations before the Opening Ceremony as well as the Games themselves.

Saturday, August 14, 2004

Opening Ceremony Part 2

Well you saw that on TV hopefully!
I just saw some clips on TV and looked really impressive.
I can tell you that the progression of the various scenes from Greek history looked much better on TV than in most seats in the stadium,
But the atmosphere was amazing (I think I have already said that!).

Some comments on the entry of the various nations. I do not know what was heard on TV, but I believe that Portugal got the warmest welcome of all! (even better than Cyprus or the US). The US, Canada, Oz and South Africa got a warmish welcome mainly due to their fans in the stadium, Iraq, Palestine and Afghanistan got an expected standing ovation (as compared to the silence for Israel and the Gulf States). Cuba also got a warm welcome and the country with a single athlete (was it Djibuti?)
I nearly forgot one of the true innovations of this Ceremony... DJ Triesto. That a cool idea that had people dancing in their seats!!! I saw loads of middle aged men with bellies and all, following the rhythm set by the DJ!

Final bit was really cool and I liked the fact that it was a total surprise, no detail had escaped about what was about to happen.
I was suspecting that the flame "cauldron" will be that orphan pole behind the visual display. Still I was very impressed by the whole setup.
Kaklamanakis really deserved to be the final torch bearer, although Nick Galis could have done it as well.

Comments:
Thanks for your personal observations. It's hard to tell from the television footage what is really going on, such as the standing ovations for the Palestininans, Iraqi, etc. Also, we in the US had a commercial after every 3rd country or so. Very distracting!

I am going to link to your blog for the duration of the Olympics as I appreciate the personal points of view you offer.

JenBen
 
Just so you know, your blog has been added to http://olympicbloggers.com
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?