FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com

This is an account of life in an Olympic city. Capturing the final preparations before the Opening Ceremony as well as the Games themselves.

Tuesday, August 17, 2004

16 Aug, Womens Volleyball, Session 277

It was going to be a day off today, catching up with all the things I have been postponing for the last few days... but my kind friend Elena (thanks darling), that works for 2004, offered us two tickets for the afternoon game between Greek and Korean ladiez.
So off we went to the South of Athens again to the legendary Peace and Friendship Stadium (S.E.F in Greek), to watch our freebie game. There were 3000 people attending, which was a pleasant surprise. A strong Korean contingent too!
I did not expect much of the game in beginning, but after we won the first set my hopes were getting high. The Greek ladiez were playing quite good at times and surprisingly the Koreans were not as good as I thought they would be.
Still a bit of good luck and experience by the Koreans gave them victory by 3-1 in the end.
I was a bit angry in the end, but it wore off later on when I heard that Greece had won its first medals!!!
Bronze with one of the usual suspects, Leonidas Sampanis in Weightlifting and most surprisingly of all, Gold in mens Synchronised Diving. I was very impressed by the performance of these guys!
Soon the rest of the Greek Weightlifting Dream Team comes into action so more medals should follow. Although I am gutted by the Maras debacle and him being left out of the final of Artistic Gymnastics (Horizontal Bar) on trivialities, he is the World Champion after all...


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?